Staff Login

Youth Action

At South West Aberdeenshire Citizens Advice Bureau we realise that young people (16-25) need advice and information as much as, if not more than, other groups to develop their personal, social and economic skills.

Knowing your rights isn't easy. With all the changes to legislation, benefits, job opportunities and housing, to mention but a few, coping with the pressures of modern day living is hard. However much you despair, all is not lost because our advisers will help you to find the answers - just ask us.

Should you have any issues that are bothering you then you can take advantage of our free drop-in service. We can provide advice, information and support for you through our friendly and impartial service. We will treat your enquiry seriously and in confidence. We are non-judgemental so that you get the maximum support or empowerment to resolve your issues.

Some of the problems facing you might be:

  • Debt management and money advice
    In our Bureau we have dedicated Money Advisers who can discuss your options if you have unmanageable debt. We can also provide advice on budgeting advice and how to manage your money. Those aged 16 and 17 must be accompanied by someone 18 and over.
  • Education - costs and prospects
    We can provide information and assistance with applications on possible funding providers and advice about related issues such as accommodation, council tax, etc.
  • Relationships
    We have a wealth of experience in this area but we realise that this area can be very complex. However, through our network of agencies and partnerships, we may be able to refer you to a more suitable group to provide support, counselling and advice.
  • Bullying
    We can advise on strategies to deal with bullying at school, further education, the work place and within your own social circle.
  • Alcohol and drug dependency
    This requires specialist advice and may involve counselling, support and therapy. Once again through our network of agencies and partnerships we can refer you to more suitable groups for advice.
  • Minimum wage and employment issues
    Employers have specific responsibilities. If you are working and feel you have a grievance with your employer, our advisers will be able to help resolve your issues.
  • Home rental
    Many young people want to start out in a place of their own and sometimes they encounter difficulties. Deposits and mortgages are, in many cases, out of their reach. We can dispel some of the myths and provide practical advice before you are locked into a lease.
  • Help with your rent and Council Tax
    If you are on a low income you can get help with rent and Council Tax. This can apply whether you are renting from a social or private landlord. If you qualify, there may also be help with rent deposits.
  • Work and out of work benefits
    The benefit system is complex with complicated forms, rules and procedures. Let us provide expert advice so that you get what you are entitled to.
  • The law and courts
    At the Bureau we can provide information about the implications of some unlawful activities, non-payment of fines and the differences between civil and criminal activities. However, we do not currently provide representation at court nor can we anticipate outcomes from court appearances.
  • Homelessness
    Where homelessness is imminent or has happened, we can give information about alternative accommodation and sources of free or cheap meals. We also work closely with other specialist agencies.

Ultimately we want this service to be run by young people for young people, so if you can commit yourself to 6 hours or more per week, are in the age range of 18 to 25 and would like to train to become one of our team of Advisers, working with young people, just follow these simple steps:

  • 1. Download an application form (from Downloadable Documents column on the right)
  • 2. Complete it and hand or post it to the address on the back page of the form.


We are currently running 2 intakes per year of 8 to 10 applicants for adviser training.

South West Aberdeenshire Citizens Advice Bureau is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites.